Thursday, July 14, 2005

The origin of Reason and thought

Reason is something we all swear by everyday. It forms the core of our beliefs, and the anchor of our faith. Nothing of any significance in our lives can deem itself free from all reason. A reason, is by virtue, a cause or an event which tends to influence another. How then, can a reason come about without there being a predecessing necessity to bring about the reason in question? Almost a chicken and the egg situation, except that we now know the chicken, did in fact, come before the egg after it evolved from a dinosaur. When it comes to reason, however, one can always go further and further to find one pre-condition after another that led to it's existence. It is a seemingly boundless chain of events interlinked in one way or another.

This, brings about the question of there being a singularity. A singularity which, to put it simply, makes sense to us all and exists by itself, without there being any "reasons" for it to exist. Whether this makes sense or not, every reason you can think of, however simple or complex should follow a series of preconditions or "pre-reasons" to account for their own existence. This trail of bread crumbs should logically have an end. The only end that I can conceptualize, is that of a singularity which is all pervading and omnipotent. What is this singularity I speak of? Well if I knew, I wouldn't be writing/typing all of this.

It seems increasingly pointless to try and find some sort of logical sense for everything I see around me. The deeper I go into my search for some definite pattern, the more I realize there isn't one. Everything that exists, exists because of some event that has been pivotal to determining it's existence. Shouldn't then, this singularity technically be the one bit (I call it a bit even though it is practically the most important thing we could know) which explains everything? The one thing which gives rise to everything else? Could you possibly imagine the entire origin of the universe, then entire realm of knowledge that we have all captured in every possible language, all encompassed by what is possibly a single sentence? This sentence, of course would have to exclude itself from every known language in order to exist.

Maybe I've been looking at it wrongly. Maybe I should look beyond sentences and mere words. In order to truly be the origin of all that we see around us, this singularity has to exist in a form which we can never comprehend. A form we are never meant to attain, or visualize. A form that is locked away from our ability to think. I may not be making sense, but these words, when I read them, would make sense to me.

The possibility of there being one single body of existence which gave birth to, and in fact, governs all we see around us is nothing short of the concept of there being a god, but God is just a word... and Mere words cannot possibly account for all that we see around us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well you know by now I'm a HUGE, HUGE fan of yours. You really ought to figure out how to copyright all this. i mean some day, it's going to be worth a lot. I just know it. This one alone, is like your own theory whether you realise it or not! Get your ass on a search engine and figure out a way to copyright this!!