Thursday, July 07, 2005

Don't believe the truth?

I was just doing the usual bit of downloading music when I saw that the name of the latest album by OASIS was called 'Don't believe the truth'. It really got me thinking. Maybe this is more than just the name of an album (which totally rocks by the way). I mean what is the truth? Apart from just cold plain fact, the "truth" is something which I think we choose to accept only when it suits us best. This is probably not true (funny, how I use the word "true") in many cases, but I think it applies to more people than those who might accept this.

When the fact of the matter is that the truth could get us into some undesirable position, we often resort to lies. Lies, in my view, are mere distortions of the truth or "temporary truths" in their own right. If what we see is what we believe, then a lie is merely an illusion which eventually breaks down to reveal cold, hard reality. When you actually think about it, the difference between the truth and a lie is more irrelevant. The truth, or more appropriately, half truths can be used to drastically alter the image of a fact in discussion. A lie, needless to say, is used to portray a certain truthful instance which possibly never happened.

This is one of my quotes - "A lie, is just the truth in a new light. Believe in either, and you believe in both" ...... Mind you, it is GENUINELY MINE and if you intend to use these wise words (hehe I'm giving myself too much credit here), please do give me due credit for it!

This is probably one of my posts which makes no sense at all. Then again, what is sense? How would you define a coherent stream of thoughts which tend to apply to a ceratin logical reasoning? ;) Think about it, and while you're at it, follow suit and 'Don't believe the truth'!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just wow :) I love OASIS too. They totally rock! As for the rest of the post, I think you're right about a lot of things. The truth, i guess, could only be the truth if one perceives it that way. You've probably heard of the "Lone cow" theory? It's perception that's everything. Get my email address on the previous comment :P I'd really like to get in touch and brainstorm with ya!